With the earlier ROUVY AR updates this spring, all triathletes and cyclists can experience the updated speed simulation algorithm for triathlon and TT rides. It is worth mentioning that the new algorithm was developed based on the pro calculations (top IRONMAN athletes and pro peloton) for ITT and their bikes. With all aero settings for super-accurate TT optimization, most calibrations had significantly improved flat and downhill riding. The results turned out to feel a little unrealistic (ie. ”too much aero”) for many riders of our community as the portion of the pro athletes constitutes a smaller percentage on the platform. Clearly understanding the need to make the proper adjustments, the team at ROUVY is now working on another type of virtual road bike. It will bring a strategic game-changer to online races as each type of virtual bike will have a different geometry, and thus different aerodynamic values (more info below), just like in real life. In addition to the new bike type, we will release drafting and update all leaderboards. Upcoming events will soon get exciting when the races can be won not only by pure power but with a smart tactical approach and team strategy! Are you ready for this one???
- Drafting feature will be ON by default during the ‘Training Mode’, ‘Group Rides’ and ‘Online Races’.
- Drafting will NOT be available in ‘Time Trial Mode’.
- Races and events can be designed as ‘TT’ during the race creation process to disable drafting modes.
TITLE AND CATEGORY CHANGE
With the release of drafting we are also adding an additional category for our race types. Some titles of current race types will also change.
One title - “Race Mode” => will split into two titles/categories: ‘Time Trial’ and ‘Race’
(‘Online Race’ => ‘Race).
The goal is to have 2 bikes (and add later 1 more) in the ROUVY AR app - to give you the freedom to choose the ride feel of your choice. This means either to get back to where it was or use the current calibration. For this purpose the following new virtual bikes will be implemented:
Time Trial bike (the current ‘ROUVY AR’ calibration)
- optimized aero geometry -> faster on the flat routes and downhill segments
- not optimal “body” position for climbing (because of the bike geometry) -> slower on the hills
- Slower than the TT bike on flat routes
- Faster than the TT bike on up hills.
Just like in real life, choose the bike that’s best for you for every race and ride! Along with the new bikes all leaderboards and route results will be updated in the new version.
- slower everywhere
- the only one available on MTB routes
*MTB bike is on the roadmap for the future, not in the closest releases.
- Separate results for TT rides and eRaces
- Only smart trainers in the lists/results (no other options)
- Additional sorting (and filtering) by Gender (male, female) and Age Group - (0-18, 18-30, 31-40, 41-50, 51-60, 60+)
- Additional column - ‘gender’, ‘age group’
- New “Running” tab (“Last passes” tab will be removed)
ORIENTED RELEASE DATES
The end of August is the orientation period for the release of all of the above. Nevertheless, drafting will occasionally be turned ON in different official race events for testing purposes before that. Keep an eye on the announcements.
We hope the planned updates will keep the great feel of outdoor rides and reality which has been a special ROUVY trademark since the beginning. With over 5,000 videos now in the library, you will be able to have much more fun and freedom of choice in racing pursuits around the world.
P.S. For those who would like to ask again; yes, ANT+ for ROUVY AR has a release timeline for mid-August and Wattbike by the end of the year.